Dips and spreads are great party food that can be prepared ahead of time, made in large quantities and be eaten with a variety of crunchy options like bread, crostini, crackers, chips and veggie sticks. They also make perfect snacks or addition to the lunchbox.
In the Indian context, chutneys form an essential part of the meals that may be in the form of a dip, accompaniment or marinade. The specialty of chutneys is that they possess the tongue-tickling elements which indeed add the spark to either the meal it is served along with or the snack alone.
The vivid varieties of these from various parts of the country are an outcome of the little recipe secrets that is unique to every home, be it sweet, tangy, savory or spicy. Try out the following recipes that are kind of offbeat but I am sure you would love it at the very first bite.
Ridge Gourd Peel Dip
The basic culinary training starts with peeling vegetables. Of course, the hygiene lesson teaches to discard the peels to the waste bin as early as possible so as to maintain a clean kitchen platform. Cooking a dish out of the peels, which to of ridge gourd may sound weird, isn’t it? Believe me, ridge gourd is 100% edible meaning that the dip made out of its peels is finger-licking good. A must-try, this easy and delicious recipe can be made in just three steps.
Ridge Gourd: 500 grams
Olive Oil: 2 teaspoon
Garlic: 6 cloves (roughly chopped)
Ginger: 1 inch (roughly chopped)
Green Chilli: – 1 (roughly chopped)
Tamarind Paste: 2 tablespoon
Sugar – 2 tablespoon
Salt: As per to taste
1. Wash and peel off the sharp ridges of the ridge gourd with a peeler and discard.
2. Peel the dark green skin of the ridge gourds and fry them for about 5 minutes in a pan with olive oil stirring constantly.
3. Add to the rest of the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste to have the dip ready to be served with any of your favorite snacks viz. Zucchini Flower Fritters or Pumpkin Flower Fritters
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 persons
Eggs are a rich source of protein which is helpful in the growth and development of muscles. Especially people involved in physical training look forward to having eggs mostly in boiled or quarter boiled form. How about having it in the form of a spread along with some bread slices or snackers? Let’s try out this easy two steps yet healthy and delicious spread which could be served with any of your favorite snacks viz. Nachos, Chips, etc.
- Eggs: 2 nos.
- Mustard Oil: 2 teaspoon
- Garlic: 4 cloves (finely chopped)
- Onion: 1 medium-sized (finely chopped)
- Dry Red Chilli: 1 whole burnt (roughly chopped)
- Salt: As per taste
1. Boil the eggs till hard for about 10 minutes. Shell out and mash thoroughly with a fork
2. Add to rest of the ingredients and blend to a smooth paste to have the spread ready
3. May garnish with some roughly mashed pieces of egg and fresh twig of coriander
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 persons
For kickass stories, interesting updates, and irresistible offers, join XPRESS WHATSAPP CLUB today. All you have to do is save 8085879657 as XPRESS in your contact list and send us a Hello! Also, follow on TWITTER and INSTAGRAM, and don’t forget to like our FACEBOOK page.