A galaxy of stars will descend at the colossal campus of Daly College, founded by Sir Henry Daly of the British Indian Army during India’s colonial British Raj, later this month. Situated on a sprawling 118.8-acre lush green campus with manicured lawns, colorful gardens, and two beautiful artificial lakes, the architectural marvel is being readied for play host to the award ceremony of the annual IIFA Awards.
According to people in the know of things, the main stage for the award show will be erected at the Hanumant Singh Oval Cricket Ground, whereas green rooms and prop rooms will be built at the football ground. The entry for the VVIPs and VIPs will be from the campus’ main entrance via the road connecting to the Police Training School. The general public can take the road coming from the Central Jail area to enter the venue from the Knowledge Gate.
To ensure there’s sufficient parking space for visitors, Nehru Stadium and empty grounds in the area will be utilized. VIPs will be allowed to park their cars at the ground of the Police Training Centre. However, changes in the plan can be made as per requirement.
An aerial tour of IIFA Awards function venue
The colonial-era building – designed in Indo-Sarasceni style – will be all decked up to revere the who’s who of the film industry, and a laser show is being planned to highlight the splendor and glory of the structure that boasts of great history and cultural heritage.
Meanwhile, the state government has appointed divisional commissioner Akash Tripathi as the nodal officer for 21st IIFA Awards. The tourism department has asked Tripathi to coordinate with concerned departments to make necessary preparations for the event.
History of Daly College
- The new building was inaugurated on November 14, 1885, by the Viceroy Lord Dufferin.
- By 1891 the Holkars of Indore and the Scindias of Gwalior donated the two student houses.
- In 1905 Sir Henry’s Son, Sir Hugh Daly, was appointed Agent at Indore, to the position previously occupied by his father.
- He took great interest in the Daly College and flourished as a Chiefs College.
- The Holkars then donated 118 acres east of the old campus and various Chiefs contributed to building on the newly acquired land.
- Construction started in 1906 on two student houses, a temple, a mosque, and the Principal’s residence.
- The main building was constructed out of marble from the Udaipur quarries and was designed in the Indo-Saracenic style by Col. Sir Swinton Jacob.
- The main building was officially inaugurated on November 8, 1912, by the Viceroy, Lord Hardinge and the old campus was given up.
- For the next 28 years, the College was open exclusively to the sons of the Chiefs of Central India.
- In 1940, showing great vision, the Board of Governors decided to prepare students for a modern and free India.
- The Daly College came together with a few other institutions and started the Indian Public Schools Conference (IPSC) its doors were thrown open to admissions on merit, regardless of caste or creed.